Friday, August 30, 2013

"Good bye then, and such good luck!"

So, this is pretty much what I look like right now.

Just kidding. Kind of. On the eve of my departure, I seem to be developing a stye on my right eyelid. It's still small right now and not yet at Hunchback proportions but needless to say, I am still quite perturbed. I have been putting a warm compress on it every few hours along with antibiotic ointment and praying to anyone who will listen to please TAKE AWAY THIS CURSE. I mean really. If it doesn't go away soon I will be known as the "Hunchback of Westminster Abbey" at school and will have to live in the bell tower all by my lonesome. 


But I digress. 

I am pretty much packed and ready to go. I have 3 checked bags (2 military duffles - under 50lbs -pictured right, and 1 overweight - 60ish lbs. - suitcase which I can literally fit into) and 2 carry-ons, one of which weighs at least 15lbs. This will cost me about $390. THANKS US Airways for being ridiculous. 

It's basically all clothing, bags, and shoes. Mom (Mum?) will be mailing me my photos, a few knick-knacks, art work and some random stuff. And nail polish (the whole collection). She is a saint. 

I am quite worried I have brought way too much s#*t and that I will have nowhere to put it. I wasn't worried about that before, but my roommate Nicki has been searching for a day or two and not having much luck with housing...which means if we have to split up and live in like university housing (GOD FORBID. It's STUPID expensive and SO SMALL and really just awful. AWFUL.) I will have absolutely no space for anything; even breathing will be a complication. 

Anyway, for anyone wondering, here's the details pertaining to my travel (please refer back to these so that people can stop asking me the same questions over and over and over and over and over):


  • I am going to Kings College London.
  • I am getting a Masters in International Peace & Security.
  • I want to either work for Amnesty International in research or for the UN (High Commissioner for Refugees or Human Rights or the like)...I plan to focus whatever I do on women, because that is what's most important to me as a feminist. 
  • I am planning to live in Central London.
  • I have a temporary apartment until I find housing.
  • I will (hopefully) have 3 roommates; Nicki, Anna and Ali.
  • I am planning to live in London indefinitely, with no plans whatsoever to move back to the US any time soon.
  • I am single (hint hint, gentlemen). 
  • I am paying for this with my first-born child. And possibly a leg.
  • Yes my blog background is Downtown Abbey and so is the title of this post. #dealwithit
I am pretty excited to fly Air New Zealand, it's pretty snazzy. I am not excited for the 5 hours layover in LAX but what can you do? I have plenty of movies and TV to catch up on I assure you.

I am going to miss everyone terribly, of course, but I also know that it won't be so long before I see many of them again. There's already a bit of planning in the works to meet some people in Europe (Ireland for St. Patty's Day, anyone?!) and possibly for a friend to come out next April. So, while I am sure there will be tears tomorrow and for some days after, I am feeling pretty good about this whole thing. 

And I think that is where I will leave this first entry. Happy thoughts. Looking forward to my next grand adventure! Please send positive energy or prayers that my roommates and I find housing with the quickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment